[lbo-talk] Re: Cossacks

Chris Doss itschris13 at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 15 00:27:27 PDT 2003

Hi Joanna,

>So far as I can see and by their own admission, the goal of this identity
>movement is to develop an elite warrior class to serve whoever rules the
>"Fatherland." I'm sure that this is pretty good real-politic so far as
>contemporary conditions in Russia go, but it is, in the bigger picure,
>scary as shit.

I agree it has the potential to be scary as shit, but I personally am not going to slam the whole Cossack movement in its embryonic stage. On the one hand, it could keep young Cossack kids out of trouble and gives them a sense of identity and continuity with their past. On the other hand, their past contains a lot of frightening stuff. If it stays on the Neighborhood Watch level it is now, it doesn't bother me too much.

90% of Cossacks (which is an ethnicity, albeit an articifially created one, not an ideology) don't care about this stuff. They're exactly like everybody else. My roommate's best friend is a Cossack woman. Being a Cossack doesn't mean more to her than being Irish would mean to a typical Irish-American. There hasn't been a distinct Cossack way of life since the Civil War, for obvious reasons.

>Social relations and social orders are breaking up across the globe as a
>result of neo-imperialist "globalization" . While I can understand how a
>yearning for a familiar "order" develops in response to that; while I can
>understand the nostalgic appeal of "The Godfather," it seems to me that
>militarizing the male population and putting them in the service of the
>warlord of the moment is a regressive and extremely dangerous development.

Yes. The Cossack way of life, in all its good and bad aspects, is dead dead dead. Putin is not going to start setting up Cossack communal villages on the border. Even if it was desirable, it's an impossible fantasy.

_________________________________________________________________ Fast, faster, fastest: Upgrade to Cable or DSL today! https://broadband.msn.com