[lbo-talk] The Cancun Delusion

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Sep 15 09:45:37 PDT 2003

Michael Pollak wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Sep 2003, boddhisatva wrote:
>
>> The challenge is to modernize agriculture in the best way feasible.
>
>I don't think anyone by a straw man would argue with that.

Not necessarily. Walden Bello told me that the consensus at Porto Alegre was against industrialization and in favor of the preservation of the rural third world. (Others disagree that that was the consensus.) That rules out "modernization," which would inevitably mean reducing the need for farm labor and increasing the need for industrial labor.

Doug