[lbo-talk] USA 2003

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Mon Sep 15 10:45:44 PDT 2003

Everyone of course would have her or his own personal response, but mine is that (as I tirelessly repeat) the US is not now (or ever has been) a "neo-fascist regime." Yes, Ashcroft is an obviously certifiable paranoid schizophrenic, and is making things rather dangerous for people who look to him like Muslim terrorists, and as Justin pointed out, the "Patriot Act" is a very loose cannon on the deck of the Ship of State. But if everyone plays their cards right, we should be able to effect a regime change next year, and none of the prospective Democratic candidates look anywhere near as dangerous as this gang.

I think it's safe for any Canadian to cross the border, provided she or he does not resemble Ashcroft's terrorist profile too closely.

As for where the signs of dissent are, I think the "protest songs and marches of yore" are a bit out of fashion right now, but we had some good ones before the war started. At the moment I think most of us are watching W's poll numbers steadily sink and congratulating ourselves for enlightening the public enough so that most Americans not mindlessly in love with W are beginning to see the light. His last big TV appearance fell absolutely flat, if not depressing his poll numbers further. Questioning is increasing in the minds of lots of ordinary, "apolitical" folks who aren't in the habit of staging protest marches.

My impression is that the public is questioning this administration more than they ever did during the Vietnam War period. As I say, if current trends continue, and everyone plays their hands reasonably well, that light is probably the light at the end of the tunnel.

Doesn't sound much like Germany in 1932, does it?

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ When I was a little boy, I had but a little wit, 'Tis a long time ago, and I have no more yet; Nor ever ever shall, until that I die, For the longer I live the more fool am I. -- Wit and Mirth, an Antidote against Melancholy (1684)