[lbo-talk] Washington Post-ABC News Poll: Bush and Iraq

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Sep 15 11:58:11 PDT 2003

> Question 11 baffles me. If you "somewhat" Support the war, doesn't
that mean you mostly
> oppose it? Sholdn't the Net number for opposition (both mostly
opposed and stongly
> opposed) be calculated together and read a Net of 38% opposed to the
war?

Not really, because Rs also have the choice of "somewhat oppose" which can be interpreted as "mostly support" according to your logic. Hence, it is proper to count the "somewhat" questions as stated i.e. either support or oppose. The fact of the matter is that most Rs tend to avoid 'extreme' answers on Likert scales i.e. 'strongly oppose' or 'strongly support' and tend to select more moderate positions on either side of the scale.

Wojtek