[lbo-talk] Sweden rejects euro

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon Sep 15 12:33:50 PDT 2003

Doug:
> Subject: [lbo-talk] Sweden rejects euro
>
> [is the neoliberal era over?]
>
> Sweden rejects euro membership
>
> STOCKHOLM (AFP) - Swedes voted not to adopt the euro in a referendum,
> dealing a major blow to Prime Minister Goeran Persson, the leading
> campaigner for Swedish membership of the European single currency.

I had mixed feeling about that. On the one hand, the no vote as a means of stopping the erosion of Swedish generous welfare state makes sense, but I am not sure whether it is the best or effective strategy - or that Sweden's welfare state is being seriously eroded, it still accounts for 34% or so of the GDP. On the other hand, the euro looks like a challenger to the dollar and the US hegemony in the world trade - so a strong euro is a good thing. Sweden joining the eurozone would certainly strengthen the euro.

Wojtek