[lbo-talk] California election postponed a la Bush V. Gore

boddhisatva boddhisatva at netzero.net
Mon Sep 15 13:47:43 PDT 2003

Dear C.'s,

So an unlikely attack on States' rights by a Republican court on behalf of a Republican Presidential candidate ends up forcing Republican Arnold Schwarzenegger to try and dodge reporters' questions for six more months. What a country! This is what precedent is all about, folks: you mess with the law and it comes back to bite you on the ass.

On the one hand, I think it's ridiculous that the logic of Bush V. Gore has been reconfirmed, especially with the help of the ACLU, but on the other hand it couldn't happen to a nicer guy. Moreover, I'm not all that upset that we are now demanding that states use a modern, uniform standard throughout the counties. At some point bad voting machines are indeed a denial of equal protection.

Still, this is quite a can of worms Bush V. Gore has opened and I doubt the Supremes can put the genie back in the bottle.

p.s. - Every voter in California should be required to see the video entitled "Party in Rio" (starring Schwarzenegger at his leering best) before he or she is allowed to cast a vote for that muscle-bound freak.