[lbo-talk] [Fwd: [PEN-L] cobalt, uranium]

boddhisatva boddhisatva at netzero.net
Mon Sep 15 15:12:35 PDT 2003

The depleted uranium thing is just not legitimate. Scientists work with hotter stuff all the time. Radiologists work with hotter stuff all the time. No, nobody recommends getting depleted uranium fragments under your skin, but the radiation they produce is eminently measurable and the effects relatively well-understood. Depleted uranium shells are nothing like dirty bombs. If depleted uranium was contaminating large areas, anybody with a Geiger counter could prove it. That hasn't happened because depleted uranium is not all that dangerous.

If I was a soldier I would be far more worried about the fact that the armed forces are not as subject to environmental work regulations as civilian employers. That means the solvents and chemicals they use in servicing and maintaining equipment can be much more dangerous than those found in the typical workplace and the conditions under which they are used can lead to extensive exposure. Methylene Chloride is more likely to get you before depleted uranium will, I would say.