[lbo-talk] Side Note On Long Black Veil

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Mon Sep 15 19:08:02 PDT 2003

two meanings of irony:

Contrast between literal statement and underlying meaning Incongruity between what might be expected and what actually occurs

Neither applies here. I somehow doubt that someone contemplating Death is distracted by irony.

I had an English lit prof (Richard Poirier) who gave a lecture once about how "irony" was a common substitute for failure to engage the text. I'm ready to defer to Carrol or Yoshie on this.

mbs

contrast between