[lbo-talk] Anti-War Discussion in Central Illinois

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Tue Sep 16 09:32:53 PDT 2003

uvj at vsnl.com wrote:

> Carrol Cox wrote:
>
> > I realize no one on lbo-talk would agree with Kipling's argument as
> > expressed a century ago. But whatever the intentions of those who hope
> > that the u.s. government might do "something good" in Iraq, in practice
> > that position is a repetition in new dress of Kipling's world view.
>
> Surely there are people on this list and elsewhere who believe in the "civilizing mission" of "Marxism-Leninism" in the "Third world".

You mean Mao, Ho, Cabral, Sandino, et al all came from Europe? And here for decades I had been suffering from the delusion that one of my favorite marxists, Amilcar Cabral, was an African.

There is an old chestnut of red-baiting: Wherever you find them, Communists came from someplace else.

I don't know whether there are any "marxist-leninists" on this list or not. I'm a Marxist who believes that Lenin was a great Marxist and one from whom we can learn, but I'm not a "Marxist-Leninist," and haven't called myself that for a couple decades. It's one of the inheritances from the Third International that we can do without.

Carrol