[lbo-talk] The Cancun Delusion

kjkhoo at softhome.net kjkhoo at softhome.net
Tue Sep 16 09:39:12 PDT 2003

At 12:45 PM -0400 15/9/03, Doug Henwood wrote:
>Not necessarily. Walden Bello told me that the consensus at Porto
>Alegre was against industrialization and in favor of the
>preservation of the rural third world. (Others disagree that that
>was the consensus.) That rules out "modernization," which would
>inevitably mean reducing the need for farm labor and increasing the
>need for industrial labor.

Thank goodness "others disagree that that was the consensus". But does Walden Bello believe that the "consensus" is really such a desirable end? I would have thought he knows only too well that "the preservation of the rural third world" as it is is surely a sentence to continued misery, and I find it hard to believe that it would be his own position.

On a different note. The collapse of Cancun may well have been inevitable given the positions adopted by the rich world, and may be a demonstration that the WTO is a more democratic institution than the other international economic organisations, and is to be welcome for the backbone shown by the governments. But is it really something for celebration? I fear that this will lead to more bilateral arrangements which will likely be even more disadvantageous, and will effectively function as trojan horses for the rich and powerful, with each bilateral arrangement serving as a pressure on the others to come to similar arrangements. We've seen this before in the race to individually come up with "more attractive" terms for foreign investments, leading to terms which even the IMF and World Bank acknowledged to be unnecessary. We see it in the competition to reduce corporate taxes, in countries where it is already low, lower than in the Euro-Atlantic zone.

kj khoo