[lbo-talk] Marxist-Leninism

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Tue Sep 16 15:41:52 PDT 2003

On Tue, 16 Sep 2003 11:14:09 -0700 (PDT), Peter Lavelle <untimely_thoughts at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I agree, Polan discusses only "State and Revolution". I still thumb
> through it looking for writing ideas. Michael, what ever happened to
> Polan? I know he used to be found in Telos a decade ago.

Raid those memory banks again and take some gingko ;-) I've got about 50 back issues of Telos mostly from the 80's and just did a google. Only A.J. Polan was a review of his book in issue from summer '85 by Robert D'Amico, one of the regulars then. (On the decline of Telos, found this recently, http://eserver.org/bs/31/holub.html and this in NLR, "Confronting neoliberal regimes: The post-Marxist embrace of populism and realpolitik." Author: Frankel, Boris Source: New Left Review Date: Nov-Dec 1997

Paul Le Blanc here http://www.newsandletters.org/Issues/1997/Nov/1197pd.htm , reprinted from Monthly Review piece on Kevin Anderson's excellent book on Hegel, Lenin and Western Marxism calls Polan, "trendy, bourgeois." Heh. Le Blanc, for a leninist, though is well worth reading, see this http://www.laborstandard.org/New_Postings/Cuba_Revised_by_PL.htm by him recently on Cuba.

Back to A.J. Polan. Googling couldn't even find his CV. Via EBSCO found this, Emancipation or surveillance? The Political implications of new forms of educational assessment. Author: Polan, Anthony J. Source: Political Quarterly

Tomorrow I'll look through vols. of Sociological Abstracts and the poli sci citation indexes. I've wondered where Polan is too.

And, on another list, a Ukranian student enamored of the RAF of Ulrike Meinhof and A. Baader is touting a Russian named Alexander Tarasov who has spoken at NBP HQ. Who is he?

-- Michael Pugliese