[lbo-talk] Culture Vulture

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Tue Sep 16 19:20:58 PDT 2003

Quoting Brian Siano <siano at mail.med.upenn.edu>:

> But if a Cultural Studies person makes a mistake, or gets a fact wrong
> a bad argument... there's not much in the way of consequences.

Culture studies isn't a natural science. It follows its own unique internal logic: Beckett doesn't disprove Shakespeare, etc. Culture is this complicated, subtle matrix through which we view the world; it forms the bedrock of our identities. Everyone participates in culture, so the stakes in its teaching and critique are planetary.

Culture is the grammar of the Matrix.

-- DRR