[lbo-talk] preferences

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 17 02:58:56 PDT 2003

Chuck0 wrote:

I'm for a world without capitalism, where people have more control over their lives, which means being able to make decisions about how they live. I see anarchism as being the venue to achieve this vision. I think that the nature of that world would dictate that the American way of life would not be feasible for anybody.

As it happens, much of what we call the "American way of life" is also the Japanese, the S. Korean, the French the German and the Nigerian way of life. By which I mean to say that advanced industrialization is a global phenomena now. My wife, who hails from Seoul, laments what to her is the primitive state of cell phone service in the US.

While she certainly would enjoy more freedom, maybe even of the anarchist sort you describe, I'm not so sure she would be happy to lose the telecommunications infrastructure entirely in favor of whatever simpler system (if any) would be permissible in the new eden. Now, thanks to the excellent S. Korean phone system, as well as orbiting satellites and other products of big science, she can speak to her sister in Kwang Ju as if she were sitting next to her. This is an interesting development in the history of human affairs. I find it exciting.

A global telecommunications grid is a big technology. Big technologies require big management of some kind. And, if I'm understanding you correctly big management, even big collective management, for such tech infrastructure would be frowned upon.

But I wonder, if a large enough percentage of the new men and women forged by the anarchist transformation looked across the sea at Russia and China and all the rest - still launcing spacecraft and talking on tiny portable phones and hurtling across the sky in sleek titanium and aluminum - and decided 'we're done with aging tech' (for surely it would be rusting since the infrastructure to maintain and enhance would be gone like the old system) 'for the sake of anarchist freedom' and decided to resurrect the supports for big tech would this be a crime of some sort?

Who or what would prevent people from designing, engineering and implementing complex systems?

It seems to me that this is a part of human nature.

How would this be prevented?

DRM