[lbo-talk] RE: Technology not neutral

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Sep 17 06:45:07 PDT 2003

Jordan:
> This reminds me of a great graphic I stumbled across recently ...
> doesn't exactly answer your questions, but provides a whole new list
of
> questions for me (like, holy shit, *how* much is a 'quad' ...?).
>
> Take note of things like 'rejected energy' and 'electrical system
> losses' ...
>
> http://en-env.llnl.gov/flow/00flow.php

Interesting. It means that about two thirds of the total energy produced is being wasted. In transportation, about 83% of the energy produced is being wasted, mainly because, I dare to say, the US government and its owners in Detroit, want us to move monstrous SUVs instead of moving people.

Let me repeat - 83 % of the gas we pump to our cars is going to waste. That means, of every $1.6 for a gallon a person pumps he is throwing on average $1.30 down the drain. That means $13 for a fill up of a smaller car or $26 for an SUV monstrosity or about $1,300 per year. I do not think that the externalities of all nuclear reactors combined cost $1,300 per person per year.

Wojtek