Marx, Brenner, Technology (Was Re: [lbo-talk] preferences)

Brian Siano siano at mail.med.upenn.edu
Wed Sep 17 09:03:17 PDT 2003

Chuck0 wrote:

> On the other hand, the efforts to associate me with wanting a return
> to a primitive society evidence plenty of Western bias against
> subsistence societies as being bad.

Then it's a bias I freely admit to. Would I want to live in a subsistence society? No. No technology, little shelter, little or no medical resources, very little literature or intellectual life beyond the tribal religions and folk beliefs, short lifespan, subject to near-extinction when the weather turns bad for too long...

You might as well say that our dislike for a fascist dictatorship is a "bias" against it.