[lbo-talk] Davies on Cancun

kjkhoo at softhome.net kjkhoo at softhome.net
Wed Sep 17 08:16:17 PDT 2003

At 7:25 PM -0500 16/9/03, Shane Taylor wrote:
>He reads it as more about the resurrection of MAI than agricultural
>subsidies.
>
>High Noon in Cancun
>by Daniel Davies
>
>http://www.crookedtimber.org/archives/000520.html
>
>Also, Jagdish Bhagwati had a piece in the Financial Times back in July on
>FTAs. He said there were about 250 now, soon to be 300. Roughly, these
>bilateral negotiations end up favoring the developed over the developing
>nations far more than the WTO. So a fall of the WTO could mean the world
>comes to resemble more, not less, of what the opponents of "corporate
>globalization" fear.

I fear they are both right. The US dumps the collapse on old Europe, and proceeds with its bilateral deals. India will likely cave; China might talk tough for a while, but will also likely cave. And when they do, the rest of us will scramble to stay in the FDI loop.

The thing on which it foundered was symbolically named -- the "Singapore issues". Singapore has bilateral FTAs with the US and Australia. Singapore is pushing ahead for the ASEAN FTA. A trojan horse, joining the bilateral FTAs with the ASEAN FTA.

Back in the days of the anti-apartheid boycott, Singapore continued to trade with South Africa, and via Singapore, we used to get South African fruits, e.g., in our markets. Ditto with Israeli products.

kj khoo