[lbo-talk] Horowitz trashes Berlet for criticism on racism

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Wed Sep 17 20:50:09 PDT 2003

Before the blackout fried my old hard drive, I was engaged in a private email discussion with Horowitz. The tone went from belligerent (on both sides) to somewhat civil, but H was always on edge. He seems a very tense guy who can snap at certain words or names (Chomsky's especially). He's apparently working on yet another book about the "anti-American Left," this time about the war, etc. He wanted me to banter with him about the topic, and I started to, but then he went on this strange kick about how those who resist or fight the Patriot Act are committing the same treason that the Confederacy committed, and therefore, I guess, war must be waged to Preserve the Union. He appears highly insecure and more than a little mad. If he weren't receiving so much grant money, I'd feel sorry for him.

He did go on about how he and Hitchens are now political comrades. I know that Hitch doesn't run from the label since I asked him about it many months ago. He and H have been on and off since, I think, 1970, and Hitch puts his participation "down to narrative." A personal human bond is one thing, but political agreement with an authoritarian like H tells me that Hitch is getting there himself. Too bad. I recall years ago Hitch decimating H on Lewis Lapham's old PBS book chat show. It wasn't even close. Now apparently the two of them are.

DP