[lbo-talk] self-education in economics

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Thu Sep 18 06:03:40 PDT 2003

I'm another amateur student of Marxist theory -- not any kind of expert -- but I just got a book from the library that looks very helpful: Marxian Economics, ed. John Eatwell, Murray Milgate, and Peter Newman (published by Norton). It's a collection of articles from the New Palgrave economics dictionary, written by the likes of Ernest Mandel, Anwar Shaikh, Paul Sweezy, Tom Bottomore, etc.).

Another older thing I have found useful is David Harvey: The Limits to Capital (U. of Chicago Press, 1982). Not easy reading, but it's hard to find thorough Marxist writings that are.

And of course a good Marx anthology is also useful, such as David McLellan's Karl Marx: Selected Writings (Oxford U. Press, 2nd ed. 2000).

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ After the Buddha died, people still kept pointing to his shadow in a cave for centuries—an enormous, dreadful shadow. God is dead: but the way people are, there may be, for millennia, caves in which his shadow is still pointed to. — And we — we must still overcome his shadow! —Friedrich Nietzsche