[lbo-talk] Re: Lbo-talk digest, Vol 1 #1250 - 11 msgs

Will Thurber wthurber at taro.bus.BrockU.CA
Thu Sep 18 07:23:17 PDT 2003

At 06:41 AM 9/18/2003 -0700, you wrote:
>We are obviously not wired for logic. (I speak as a
>former teacher of the subject, as well as a current
>often futile supplicant on its merits to the courts.)
>I wonder what the evolutionary advantage is in
>thinking like that? Or do we survive despite thinking
>in this half-assed way? jks

Mental heuristics usually serve us well, but can get us balled up from time to time. If we all had Intel processors for brains we'd all be the same - and while that might be peaceful, it crosses the lines into boring. But then again how would we know, or even care, since uniformity maximizes our utility by minimizing our disutility.

Maybe the Borg got it right, but until I submit I will continue to infer high price mean high quality, and that if the last 3 tosses were heads then the odds of the next toss being a tails are enhanced!! Or its baseball corollary, if they haven't won the World Series in the past 80/100 years, the chances are that *this* is the Red Sox's / Cub's (pick one) year.