[lbo-talk] Horowitz trashes Berlet for criticism on racism

Devine, James jdevine at lmu.edu
Thu Sep 18 07:39:43 PDT 2003

Dennis Perrin writes: >... I was engaged in a private email discussion with Horowitz. The tone went from belligerent (on both sides) to somewhat civil, but H was always on edge. He seems a very tense guy who can snap at certain words or names (Chomsky's especially). He's apparently working on yet another book about the "anti-American Left," this time about the war, etc. He wanted me to banter with him about the topic, and I started to, but then he went on this strange kick about how those who resist or fight the Patriot Act are committing the same treason that the Confederacy committed, and therefore, I guess, war must be waged to Preserve the Union. He appears highly insecure and more than a little mad. If he weren't receiving so much grant money, I'd feel sorry for him.<

I used to know that creep (he was a friend of an ex-girlfriend of mine). His driving forces seem to be

(1) a feeling of betryal: he made the mistake of embracing the Black Panther Party at a time when most other White leftists in the Bay Area were moving away from them. They allegedly killed a friend of his who had done their accounting and figured out that the BPP was crooked.

(2) hatred of his mother, who was a Communist Party organizer, perhaps the most important one in Brooklyn.

Jim Devine

-------------- next part -------------- A non-text attachment was scrubbed... Name: not available Type: application/ms-tnef Size: 4350 bytes Desc: not available URL: <../attachments/20030918/093a11b6/attachment.bin>