[lbo-talk] No Evidence ...

Curtiss Leung curtiss_leung at ibi.com
Thu Sep 18 08:17:29 PDT 2003

jks writes:

> We are obviously not wired for logic. (I speak as a
> former teacher of the subject, as well as a current
> often futile supplicant on its merits to the courts.)
> I wonder what the evolutionary advantage is in
> thinking like that? Or do we survive despite thinking
> in this half-assed way? jks

I guess there was a *relative* evolutionary advantage in being able to make mental associations and aggregations based on contiguity and similarity--and isn't this what Frazier called "magic thinking?"--so I figure we're surviving despite it, because it's certainly not up to the demands of the world we're in today.

Engaging in completely baseless speculation, Curtiss