[lbo-talk] Logic - was No Evidence ...

boddhisatva boddhisatva at netzero.net
Thu Sep 18 13:51:39 PDT 2003

Dear C.s,

Dwayne Monroe really interested me in this file because that Lem story he points out questions some fundamental things about human nature.

I would suggest that we ask what the logical human purpose of human logic is? By this I mean to ask whether the natural purpose of human logic is for an individual to develop an individual assessment of the "truth" or whether the purpose of human logic is to develop a mode of thought that will resonate with - and therefore be reinforced by - by the rest of the clan, tribe, social grouping.

Individuals may want the truth but so what? If we are social animals we have to ask what the clan wants and what the clan wants is not answers but common answers - a different thing entirely.

Doesn't a logical social actor demand not only the "truth" as such but a "truth" that his clan will recognize as true?

peace,

boddi