[lbo-talk] No Evidence ...

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Thu Sep 18 15:08:26 PDT 2003

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Luke Weiger wrote:

> > I'm often skeptical of the evolutionary psychology
> > model, but I have to admit it actually makes sense
> > in this case. Schemas or semantic networks allow
> > us to organize our knowledge so that we can
> > effectively retrieve it in the future.
>
> They're also presumably organized to help us figure shit out, and not merely
> remember where we can find fish.
>
> -- Luke

But how often do we need to use formal logic to solve practical, real-life problems in a hunting and gathering society? Granted, a capacity for rigorous, logical reasoning helps a college student to pass Justin's philosophy course; but you're confusing success in a rarified academic environment with success in a quite different social context!

Miles