[lbo-talk] No Evidence ...

Shane Taylor s-t-t at juno.com
Thu Sep 18 20:22:19 PDT 2003

Brian Siano wrote:
> It may be helpful to recognize that formal logic is just
> that: a formalization of reason. Humans have always
> reasoned, even in hunter-gatherer societies (say,
> figuring out what part of the savannah might have
> some decent veggies, what the ibex might run if the
> tribe attacks from downwind, etc.). We may do it
> imperfectly, and imperfect reasoning may actually
> serve us sufficiently in many respects. But that's
> no reason to dismiss logic as something appropriate
> only for specific environments.

Yes, exactly! Here's what I'd just written when the above hit my inbox:

Logic is, at base, the study of reasoning. Survival of nearly any society requires some level of reasoning, however minimal. The point of studying logic, I should hope, is to refine our ability to reason. Most people can, at least occasionally, smell the bullshit in a fallacy even as they gloss over the fallacies in their own thought. The best expression of this is (supposedly) inscribed on the monument to Freud in Vienna: the voice of reason is faint, but persistent.

-- Shane

________________________________________________________________ The best thing to hit the internet in years - Juno SpeedBand! Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER! Only $14.95/ month - visit www.juno.com to sign up today!