[lbo-talk] No Evidence ...

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Fri Sep 19 08:13:10 PDT 2003

Because irrationality "inherited" from our evolutionary precursors doesn't always trump rationality. (Otherwise science, etc., would never have developed.) We *can* sometimes think rationally; the question is how to get more people to do it more often in situations in which it would be desirable.

In this case, the people who don't believe the AQ-Saddam connection presumably don't have the emotional motivations which cause the believers to switch off their reasoning faculties on this subject.

We are all mixtures of rational and irrational beings. Even the most logical of us can think of areas in our lives where we make very stupid mistakes because we are so emotionally committed to an idea that we can't think straight about it. I certainly can in my life.

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A sympathetic Scot summed it all up very neatly in the remark, 'You should make a point of trying every experience once, excepting incest and folk-dancing.' -- Sir Arnold Bax