[lbo-talk] take my life, please

Kelley the-squeeze at pulpculture.org
Fri Sep 19 11:09:02 PDT 2003

hate to break it to MT, but just by going into this profession, some folks would say he's regularly knee-deep in the most foul smelling sludge. :)

ya gotta read this. it's a hoot. didn't anyone tell this kid that a lengthy cover letter was a bad idea?

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/mstoll1.html

SEPTEMBER 18--Matthew Toll is in his final year at the Tulane University School of Law and, like many fellow students approaching graduation, is seeking an associate's position paying at least $70,000 per year. The 25-year-old, though, has taken a unique approach to that hunt. Last month, he sent 20-30 law firms his resume and a five-page interview request drafted to resemble a legal filing (below you'll find the copy of Toll's pitch letter that went to the New Jersey firm Wolff & Samson). Noting that, "I am VERY hungry right now," Toll promised prospective employers that, "If my mother's funeral was the day of a key deposition, I would do the eulogy via teleconference after the deposition." And if his wedding was on the date of a key trial, "the wedding would be postponed. If the wife to be did not like it, I would inform her that work comes before EVERYTHING ELSE and that if she does not like this, she is free to find a competing husband." And, considering the tight job market, the kid is not afraid of getting his hands dirty: "If a piece of evidence was accidentally dropped into the garbage, I would have no problem going to the local dump and spending days covered knee-deep in the worst foul-smelling sludge imaginable to search for the evidence." When TSG caught up with him, Toll said he was not embarrassed by the letter and had good relationships with his mother and girlfriend, though Mom ribbed him, "So, you're not gonna come to my funeral?" As word of his letter ricocheted through the legal community this week, Toll began receiving phone messages and e-mails offering criticism and job interviews. While Toll said the "vast majority" of the feedback has been negative, "I don't care if everybody hates me, I only have to get one job." (5 pages)