[lbo-talk] IMF warns the US

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Sep 19 11:54:12 PDT 2003

Dwayne Monroe wrote:

>I'm curious as to how professional economists,
>mainstream and off the beaten track, are responding to
>this IMF statement.

I don't know about professional economists, but the reactions among pundits and Wall Street types fall into a couple of basic categories:

* It's all true, and the day of reckoning will come soon. A minority view.

* It's bullshit, because America is mighty, and the envy of the world, and foreigner pour their money into our economy because they know it's the greatest thing around and their own economies suck. This is the majority view.

In general, Wall Street types and U.S. pundits pay almost no attention to anything the IMF says. Ditto the OECD.

Doug