[lbo-talk] anarchist/commie soccer results

joanna bujes jbujes at covad.net
Fri Sep 19 19:04:13 PDT 2003

I know, I know: you've been waiting with baited breath!

Some of you might remember a posting on LBO a few weeks back, announcing a soccer match between the anarchists and the commies at Piedmont high school (the Beverly Hills High of Oakland). Well that match, between the Left Wing Football Club (commies) and the Kronstadt Football Club (guess), ended up in a 2-2 tie when police arrived to break up the game. The match was reported to the police by a Piedmont resident, who complained of players shouting slogans like: "Agitate! Agitate! Score a goal and smash the state!" (Piedmont is THE upper-class enclave, situated in the north of Oakland. I believe that like all such, it uses Oakland's infrastructure but keeps its schools separate.)

The teams played again last Sunday in Berkley, when the anarchists beat the commies 4-2. The commies were reported to have won the fashion contest, sporting real red soccer jerseys featuring a clenched fist, compared to Kronstadt's "cheap sweat-shop T-shirts," which bore a logo that incoporated the anarchist "A" and a soccer ball. The referee was impressed by the anarchists: "The anarchists are so well-behaved. They're playing respectably!...I didn't expect them to play by the rules..." Both teams were reported to have used very inclusionary practices, giving everyone a chance to play, irrespective of color, gender, or sexual orientation. Bay area residents can check out the full story in this week's "East Bay Express."

Joanna