[lbo-talk] No Evidence ...

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Sat Sep 20 07:32:37 PDT 2003

On Friday, September 19, 2003, at 01:08 PM, Kelley wrote:

> At 12:36 PM 9/19/03 -0400, Jon Johanning wrote:
>> Yes, a lot of folks disbelieve everything the Bushies say for
>> emotional reasons, but that doesn't make for a smart approach, IMHO.
>
> Is it really just an opinion, humble or not? Or do you have an
> argument? If so, I'd be interested in your argument.

Very simple: the fact that a person belongs to the Bush administration doesn't render that person incapable of making true statements. Therefore, it is not rational to consider proposition P false just because it was uttered by a member of the Bush administration.

What's wrong with that?

(Granted, I do of course agree that most of what they say about political, foreign policy, economic, etc., matters is BS, but I don't think that because I hate their guts, I think it because my understanding of the world is quite different from theirs in these subjects, and while I admit that I may be wrong in some of that understanding, I do try rather hard to get at the truth in these fields to the best of my ability.)

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ When I was a little boy, I had but a little wit, 'Tis a long time ago, and I have no more yet; Nor ever ever shall, until that I die, For the longer I live the more fool am I. -- Wit and Mirth, an Antidote against Melancholy (1684)