[lbo-talk] What Salam Palax thinks of the war/occupation

dredmond at efn.org dredmond at efn.org
Sat Sep 20 17:41:57 PDT 2003

Quoting Luke Weiger <lweiger at umich.edu>:

> Yes, everyone ought to think about the armed resistance that has already
> taken place in Iraq and will continue to take place some time into the
> future. Cheerleading for it, or pretending that it's somehow indicative of
> the wishes of most Iraqis or likely to promote their best interests, is
> unacceptable.

Not at all. The US and UK conducted a cruel, illegal and unjust war on a helpless Third World country, murdering thousands of human beings and plunging 27 million people into misery and chaos. I myself would prefer a mass campaign of nonviolent civil disobedience, but I can't speak on behalf of ordinary Iraqis. They have as much right to pick up a gun as the farmers of Lexington in 1775.

-- DRR