[lbo-talk] Re: dalai lama

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Sep 21 07:27:02 PDT 2003

joanna bujes wrote:

> "i'm assuming that tomorrow (sunday), a large number of white liberals, hippies, and trendy buddhists (starbucks in hand) will show up at central park to hear "his holiness" pontificate for a while. while i say fuck the chinese govt and its supression of tibet, i was also wondering if there are any good radical critiques out there of the whole dalai lama phenomenon, for lack of a better word... thanks."
>
> What is the "dalai lama phenomenon"?
>
> Joanna

I don't know much about the actions of the Chinese government in the province of Tibet, but I do know that Mussolini, Franco, or Pinochet would have been a great improvement over the rule of the Tibetan theocracy. Nothing China did under either Mao or the present government could begin to match the horror of the rule of the Tibetan Monks for a thousand years. The core complaint about China in Tibet is that they waited 5 years (1950-1955) before they tossed the Monks out.

Carrol