[lbo-talk] Iraq enters free market economy

Jon Johanning jjohanning at igc.org
Mon Sep 22 06:18:26 PDT 2003

On Monday, September 22, 2003, at 12:47 AM, uvj at vsnl.com wrote:

> THE TIMES OF INDIA
>
> MONDAY, SEPTEMBER 22, 2003
>
> Iraq enters free market

[snip]

> "Iraq needs jobs, it needs to have growth," a senior US official
> involved in Iraq's reconstruction said. "This isn't just a proposal —
> this is the law, this is done. This was all signed yesterday," the US
> official said.

I must be missing something. The US-UK occupation isn't supposed to be a government, and the council they set up isn't either. So how can laws get passed?

Jon Johanning // jjohanning at igc.org __________________________________ A gentleman haranguing on the perfection of our law, and that it was equally open to the poor and the rich, was answered by another, 'So is the London Tavern.' -- "Tom Paine's Jests..." (1794); also attr. to John Horne Tooke (1736-1812) by Hazlitt