[lbo-talk] religion

Christian Gregory christian11 at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 22 06:28:58 PDT 2003

>I may be wrong.

Well, at least you're right about something. :)

Generally, this whole Dalai Lama thing is really pathetic. So the Western media and liberal do-gooder groups have used the Dalai Lama to their own ends--so what? I mean, how is that a critique of the Dalai Lama, much less an entire religious tradition? By this logic, the Karmapa is a sort lower angel, and all of the unknown yogis in Tibet are--what? And then you tut-tut about those bad old autocratic monks who were (thankfully!) overthrown by the Chinese--while calling for a US exit from Iraq in the name of their sovereignty. Do stop.

As for the "it's a religion" thing, first, you're wrong about the Buddhist notion of faith. But more to the point, I'm wondering who you think American Buddhists are? I mean, by and large, they precisely the kind of people you will want for (and who now belong to) global justice movements. What planet are you on that you think it's interesting or useful just to dismiss them out of hand?

Christian