[lbo-talk] religion

Devine, James jdevine at lmu.edu
Mon Sep 22 08:20:38 PDT 2003

>As for the "it's a religion" thing, first, you're wrong about the Buddhist notion of faith. But more to the point, I'm wondering who you think American Buddhists are? I mean, by and large, they precisely the kind of people you will want for (and who now belong to) global justice movements. What planet are you on that you think it's interesting or useful just to dismiss them out of hand?<

I wasn't dismissing religion -- or anything else -- out of hand. It's just not something that I can be convinced to agree with. Similarly, those who have religions aren't going to be convinced to drop them. It's a matter of faith that is by its very nature a matter of personal opinion. It's not like a theory in science, or social science, in which the point is to convince others of its veracity using logic, empirical evidence, and methodological strictures, until an even better theory comes along. (Policy is also important, but you have to derive policy from some sort of theory.)

If, on the other hand, Buddhism isn't a faith or religion but is instead merely a general framework for "how to live a good life," then we can judge its success or failure in practice. (Unless success can only be seen in nirvana, which seems non-observable.)

Jim D.