[lbo-talk] Re: Platitudes

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 22 12:59:54 PDT 2003

> > If you want to look at capitalist disasters and
> famines that rackedup higher body counts, check out
> Mike Davis' Late Victorian Holocausts -- among other
> sources.
>
> But us any body count acceptable no matter what the
> policy that brings it about -- capitalist, Buddhist
> or communist?
>
> Brian Dauth
> Queer Buddhist Resister

Firstly, I am not defending Stalinism. I have opposed it all my life. second, realistically, yes, you gotta pick your body count. There is no alternative, especially including doing doing, that has no body count. Sorry, Cholly, you all have dirty hands -- those who defend the existing order, those who resist it, those who advocate one or another alternative, those who do nothing.

From my tag-line poem, To Those Born Later (An Die Nachgeborenen), by Brecht:

I came to the cities in a time of disorder

When hunger reigned there.

I came among men in a time of revolt

And I rebelled with them.

So passed my time

Which had been given to me on earth. My

food I ate beeween battles

To sleep I lay down among murderers

Love I practised carelessly

And nature I looked at without patience.

So passed my time

Which had been given to me on earth. All

roads led into the mire in my time.

My tongue betrayed me to the butchers.

There was little I could do. But those in

power

Sat safer without me: that was my hope.

So passed my time

Which had been given to me on earth. Our

forces were slight. Our goal

Lay far in the distance

It was clearly visible, though I myself

Was unlikely to reach it.