[lbo-talk] What Salam Palax thinks of the war/occupation

mike larkin mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 22 19:07:37 PDT 2003

--- Miles Jackson <cqmv at pdx.edu> wrote:

> of the wishes of most Iraqis?

> > >How? By the same reasoning that keeps the
> results of the polling in
> > >Iraq by the State Department's intelligence
> branch classified and
> > >unavailable to Americans:
> >
> > Gallup will be releasing results of their polling
> in Baghdad over the
> > next several days.
> >
> > Doug
>
> Isn't that a little like polling NYC to find out
> what people in
> the U. S. think about the war in Iraq? I know the
> Gallup people
> will stress the sample is not representative of all
> Iraqis, but
> I suspect this will be reported by lazy journalists
> as "Iraqi
> public opinion".
>
> Miles

How can a poll conducted under those conditions possibly be scientific? It's totally surreal. I'd guess many Iraqis wouldn't know if the polltaker was really Baath, Islamist, CIA, you name it. It reminds me of those pollsters who flew into Grenada after the U.S. invasion in '83 to ask what people thought of it.

Surprise, surprise, it was thumbs up all around!