[lbo-talk] the legal status of Iraq's oil

Kevin Robert Dean Qualiall at Adelphia.Net
Tue Sep 23 02:31:08 PDT 2003

Eubulides wrote:
> R. Dobie Langenkamp and Rex J. Zedalis, What Happens to the Iraqi Oil?:
> Thoughts on Some Significant, Unexamined International Legal Questions
> Regarding Occupation of Oil Fields
> http://www.ejil.org/journal/Vol14/No3/index.html

Somewhat related...I saw Bremmer on Newhour today defending the multi billion dollar package for Iraq rebuilding...One of the (senators? congress?) asked why Iraq couldn't just use it's oil as collateral for loans from the IMF, to which Bremmer said something to the effect of "We don't want the IMF to come in and put Iraq into even deeper debt."

I got a kick outta that one... -KRD