[lbo-talk] Parecon Discussion...

Michael Albert sysop at ZMAG.ORG
Tue Sep 23 07:51:41 PDT 2003

> Charles Brown:
> Hello Doctor Albert. Welcome to the list.

Call me Michael, please...and I am not a doctor, in any event...

> How will private capital and bankers be expropriated of their
> power over industries, art and otherwise ?

This is actually not a question about parecon -- that is, about an economic system we might seek. It is instead about how to attain another economic system.

There will be no banks, nothing like banks, in a parecon ....

If you are asking how does the population cohere into powerful movements that win a trajectory of changes which better people's lives and eventually grasp control of the economy -- with workers councils taking over workplaces, and consumers councils becoming operative in neighborhoods, etc. -- there is no single answer, there are an immense range of component aspects of such a process, of course.

> Will people have a right to a decent, balanced job complex
> or income ?

In a parecon everyone earns for their effort and sacrifice at a balanced job complex. You can earn more than another person by working longer, or more intensely...only. So we all have, with minor deviation, the average income.

We all have a job complex that is comparable to what all others have for empowerment and quality of life implications.

> How does parcecon preserve the power of women in making
> consumer choices ?

I don't actually understand the question. Individuals choose their own consumption...collectives choose their collective consumption -- each has a say as do the workers who produce what is consumed. There is no difference due to gender in a parecon.

If a parecon existed in a society with sexist kin and cultural and political forms, there would be a shapr contradiction because the parecon would violate -- certainly not support -- any gender hierarchies emerging from those other realms.

> What form of the family is Parcecon premised upon ?

No form. Except -- family relations -- or perhaps the social structures by which the next generation is born, nurtured, and socialized, would have to be compatible with the economy, just as vice versa.

In this case it would mean, whatever mix and range of personal and group living arrangment (etc.) exist, they would have to "yield" adults able to partake of participatory roles in the economy, expecting equity rather tha domination or subordination, etc.

> How does Parcecon stand in relation to the principles : from
> each according to ability to each according to need or work ?
> Is this its equity and diversity ?

From each according to ability is a bit misleading -- even for those who advocate it. Suppose I am much better at physics than at writing -- does that mean society forces me to do physics so my productivity is optimally utilizing my ability? Not really...rather we require only that society be organized so that I will choose what I wish to do, and there will be incentives so that if I opt to work in my less rather than more productive paths...it will have been sensible in light of the presumably strong reasons I have (given my rejecting the incentives). The incentives can be social, not just material.

Reward each according to work is very vague. Does one reward for the output of work? Or for the act of doing it -- measured in the effort and sacrifice expended? Parecon does the latter. Output includes the latter as a component, but also rewards better tools, happening to produce things that are more valuable, having more skill and what it enables, innate qualities, etc. Parecon doesn't think these additions are either morally or economically warranted.

Rewarding need is also vague. Who determines need? If I do, it means I can take anything and everything. Not very viable. If some social arrangement determines it, then it is really rewarding whatever it is using to make the judgement. On the other hand, rewarding those who can't work -- can't exert effort and sacrifice -- is part of parecon, as is providing "insurance" which is to say, caring for those who suffer harm and as a result have great need.

> Has parcecon been practiced anywhere ?

There are instances of pareconish institutions, yes. And there have been components of parecon utilizize n other ways, too. But, no, no economy has ever been a parecon.

> What is the role of computers in planning and compilation of
> consumer preferences ?

What you would expect -- that is, they facilitate tracking and using data.