[lbo-talk] Parecon Discussion...

Michael Albert sysop at ZMAG.ORG
Tue Sep 23 13:32:55 PDT 2003

> wouldn't making art that is deemed socially desirable labor
> so one is compensated making art for oneself as much as
> anything else?

Painting can be socially valuable -- perhaps it is if you do it -- or ridiculous garbage, as it would be if I did it. I could not get a job in a good economy -- even in a bad one or a remotely sane one, painting, unless it was painting the outside of houses...which I in fact used to do.

> or in that senese parecon would then be paying
> artists as prostitutes. you know as 'i don't like doing this
> but this sort of thing has been deemed somehow as 'socially
> desirable labor''. then if that becomes obvious in the art it
> could then be deemed 'socially undesirable' then the artist
> throws his hands up in the air and shoots himself.

I have no idea what you are talking about...sorry.

If you want to play baseball, or drive a truck, or paint murals, or whatever -- you can do it on your time, in a parecon -- no problem. Or you can do it for remuneration -- as part of your work, in relation to workers councils.

> also whose to say bad art however it is deemed isn't
> 'socially desirable labor'? i mean socially undesirable labor
> art could produce desirable labor art or vice versa. some of
> the best films for example are critiques of bad films etc.
> how would we know what socially undesirable labor art is
> unless someone produces it?

How do we know whether research into quarks will yield anything other than torn up pages of errors -- or wehther exploration of a possible new bicycle design will yield a new bicycle. We don't. We judge that the effort is worth undertaking...n light of our desires, hopes, aspirations, etc.

> shouldn't 'artists' be paid a base amount (enough to eat)
> with the only criteria that they produce something? and let
> the reaction or posterity weed out the 'undesirables'....

I don't think so. By that logic I could declair myself an artist, paint or sculpt or whatever -- and it is utter garbage, but it fulfills my social responsibility to produce and earns me an income.

Why should that be more true for painting than for airplane flying, or farming, or anything else.

Lots of people seem to think art is a very special case -- I don't. i
> can imagine getting abuse from critics etc. would make being
> an artist a desirable means of compensation. a bad artist
> that could stand being say the balloon person amount
> pincushion men could still be producing something of social
> value by means of his labor.

Don't understand this either.

> i'm just wondering how this sort of thing would be worked out.

I think it pays greatly to get a grip on the broad features of parecon before worrying about art ...because art seems to often bring baggage that complicates perceptions.

I guess what I am saying is, are there any concerns about the basics =

Perhaps the values solidarity, equity, diversity, or self management --

Or the key institutions...

Workers and consumers councils and federations of councils Remuenration for effort and sacrifice Choosing decision making tally methods and communication methods to propel self management Balanced job complexes Participatory planning...