[lbo-talk] Parecon Discussion...

Chuck0 chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue Sep 23 14:36:51 PDT 2003

I've read a few things about Parecon over the years, including half of that book that keeps getting borrowed from me by Robin Hahnel's anarchist students at AU. Parecon always seemed like an interesting gedankenexperiment in thinking about alternative economics to me, but I've been turned off by the efforts to turn it into a systematic political philoshopy and strategy for social change. I think that Michael Albert has outlined some interesting ideas about participatory economics, which are the most useful in radicalizing average people into understanding that there are workable alternatives to capitalism. I really liked the examples in that book about how to do things like run an airport cooperatively. I see Parecon as a possible model that people could use in a non-capitalist society, but I really see anarchism as being the systematic approach that best incorporates participatory economics in a bigger struggle for social change.

Another problem I have with Parecon has to do with its totalizing aesthetic program of economics. Beware of theories which look nice on paper and be even more wary of people who want to put pretty theories in practice on a societal scale. Let me reference the discussion we had on this list several years ago on Scott's book "Seeing Like a State." In that book, Scott dissects aesthetically-oriented economic schemes that have been implemented on a national scale, such as state-run communism in the Soviet Union. I've always thought that Parecon could be a practical program in *some* communities "after the revolution," but it pays to be skeptical about any economic program which is universalized despite widely differing local conditions.

On a more immediate level, it would be interesting to see how the ideas of Parecon could be applied by radical organizations in a capitalist society. Are any co-ops using the Parecon model?

Chuck0