[lbo-talk] W: I rarely read the papers

Jacob Segal jpsegal at rcn.com
Tue Sep 23 03:43:21 PDT 2003

A friend points out

this unbelievable selection:

HUME: When you look at other presidents, apart from your dad, sort of identify with them, or think about what they would have done? Who comes to your mind often?

BUSH: Lincoln, who I've got on the wall over there. The reason why is because I can't imagine what it would be to be president when the United States at war with yourself. People killing each other here in America on a massive basis. Just can't imagine what it would be.

HUME: Have you asked yourself, what he might have done, or how he might have handled the situation?

BUSH: Well, I think -- he inspires me because from this way, throughout his entire presidency he thought about the United States of America, and the toughest job for a president is to unite the country, to achieve objectives, and I believe the president must set big objectives. And I set big objectives. And -- and yet, when you read the other presidents' writings, they always complain about the press and the fact that Washington is too political, it's not very civil. In other words, it's a hard task to unite the country. Lincoln kept it united. And so -- he is inspiring, from that sense. I mean, he helps me recognize that one of my most important jobs is to set big goals and unite the nation to achieve them.

-----Original Message----- From: Jacob Segal [mailto:jpsegal at rcn.com] Sent: Tuesday, September 23, 2003 2:59 AM To: Binder, Neil Subject: FW: [lbo-talk] W: I rarely read the papers

Neil,

What would Plato say about the below?

Jacob

[from Brit Hume's interview with W <http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,98006,00.html>]:

HUME: How do you get your news?

BUSH: I get briefed by Andy Card and Condi in the morning. They come in and tell me. In all due respect, you've got a beautiful face and everything.

I glance at the headlines just to kind of a flavor for what's moving. I rarely read the stories, and get briefed by people who are probably read the news themselves. But like Condoleezza, in her case, the national security adviser is getting her news directly from the participants on the world stage.

HUME: Has that been your practice since day one, or is that a practice that you've...

BUSH: Practice since day one.

HUME: Really?

BUSH: Yes. You know, look, I have great respect for the media. I mean, our society is a good, solid democracy because of a good, solid media. But I also understand that a lot of times there's opinions mixed in with news. And I...

HUME: I won't disagree with that, sir.

BUSH: I appreciate people's opinions, but I'm more interested in news. And the best way to get the news is from objective sources. And the most objective sources I have are people on my staff who tell me what's happening in the world. ___________________________________ http://mailman.lbo-talk.org/mailman/listinfo/lbo-talk