[lbo-talk] Parecon Discussion...

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Tue Sep 23 20:44:31 PDT 2003

From: "Michael Albert" <sysop at ZMAG.ORG>

> Yes...and some people simply like like more, I suppose...and some have
> attributes that give them many daily options that others don't have, and
> so on. Parecon doesn't address any of that -- other than to not reward
> people for genetic luck (size, brilliance, reflexes, and so on).

I agree that there's no coherent ethical sense in which one "deserves" to reap greater monetary benefits because they won the natural lottery. However, wouldn't we need to ensure that there are incentives for competent persons to become, say, doctors? I don't think a lot of people would be willing to go through the rigors of med school if the pay at the end of the rainbow was around $40,000--or would Parecon med schools somehow be just as good (relative to the ones we already have) at preparing prospective doctors without being nearly as taxing?

-- Luke