[lbo-talk] Re: redbaiting

Kelley the-squeeze at pulpculture.org
Wed Sep 24 05:02:08 PDT 2003

At 07:45 AM 9/24/03 -0400, Dennis Perrin wrote:
> > Dennis Perrin
> >
> > " but then she'd doubtless counter
> > with the fact that I'm white and straight, and she's Japanese,"
> >
> > I don't think so. Whatever Yoshie is, she is neither silly nor stupid.
> >
> > Joanna
>
>And mentioning the fact that I'm a man when I'm criticizing ANSWER is
>serious how??? I saw that tactic all the time back in the day: "Well of
>course you'd say that -- you're a man, and thus phallocentric, an oppressor
>of women and people of color everywhere." And this after I suggested the
>color of a flyer be light blue. It's a cheap trick to divert attention from
>said topic, "Identity Politics" (as if there's any other kind) gone awry.
>
>DP

What you said was that members of this list, because they announced an ANSWER rally, were, therefore, pro-Ba'athist. Now, I don't have any evidence that ANSWER is pro--Ba'athist, for one. You can put forward an argument, but you have to convince me. And I'm no fan of ANSWER. Then, you turned around, and tried to claim that b/c Yoshie encouraged attendance at teh rally, the she's pro-Ba'athist.

Horse Hockey. She's no more pro-Ba'athist than you were pro-Bush for endorsing the beliefs you endorsed post-9/11. You had an argument and deserved to have your argument taken seriously, not painted as a Bush defender. Ditto Yoshie. You didn't argue with her, you attacked ANSWER and then claimed that she was like ANSWER b/c she dares associate with them by supporting attendance at their rallies.

The other logical fallacy was to insist that people who hated the Iraq occupation but defended China/Tibet were hypocrits. Calling someone a hypocrite is ad hominem tu quoque. Logical fallacy. Bad juju. elides substance. you have more to offer than this cheap crap.

Kelley