[lbo-talk] Parecon Discussion...

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Wed Sep 24 08:37:20 PDT 2003

Kelley:
> I worked for a catering company that organized its staffing in a
modified
> form of parecon. It was based in Ithaca, NY. but it wasn't ideology
but

It is not surprising that this would work in a catering or retail business, because there is relative little job specialization in those industries, and the risk associated with error/malpractice is rather low. But can you imagine a hospital where surgeons and janitors rotate between jobs? Or an airline where a baggage handler gets into the pilot's seat after he is done with loading your luggage on the plane? Or, for that matter, a sales clerk replacing the brakes or the steering system on your car?

Wojtek