[lbo-talk] Parecon Discussion...

Michael Albert sysop at ZMAG.ORG
Wed Sep 24 10:09:58 PDT 2003

> Yes, that's the question I raised. But it's not just (or,
> perhaps, even in large part) a question of where they'll be
> more socially productive relative to themselves, but where
> they'll be more socially productive (sometimes in large part
> due to luck in the natural lottery) relative to others. I
> realize that that was really muddled, so I'll try again: it
> may be true that person X would be (in absolute terms)
> maximally socially productive in occupation Y. But it still
> might not be particularly important to ensure that person X
> goes into occupation Y (it might be that, because of the
> nature of occupation Y itself, people that enter it are much
> more productive than they would've been if they'd entered
> some other occupation). Rather, we'll only have an
> substantial social interest in getting X into Y iff a) Y is
> really important and b) X would be a lot more productive in Y
> relative to other people.

Not sure what you are asking.

People apply to get jobs. If jobs aren't offered, one can't apply. If they are offered, they need to hire. If people apply, someone gets it. And so on...

> > If I can ONLY work at a balanced job complex and only earn income
for
> > the intensity and duration of my labors -- is it really the case
that
> > I have to be bribed materially to orient my work choice toward where
> > will be more productive -- and appreciated -- or will that occur
> > naturally and in accord, as well, with my own preferences?

> Well, yes, if men were angels no such problems would
> arise--people wouldn't even have to be bribed with higher
> esteem (i.e. be more "appreciated"). The question is whether
> the rewards of higher esteem and knowing one is doing the
> right thing are going to be incentive enough in enough cases.

Okay, you are deciding between going to school to be a doctor, or not.

Do you think you need to be paid a fortune to do it -- if it is your talent area?

> If we put material benefits, social desirability, and esteem
> aside, I can quite honestly say that there are tons of menial
> jobs I'd prefer to
> medicine: janitorial work, dishwashing, bartending etc. etc.

Not the point. Would you prefer those menial jobs to ALL jobs that involve more empowerment and better conditions, etc.

I may hate blood, it is irrelvant.

I can only ask you to consider the case...I guess.