[lbo-talk] vote on econ nobelist

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Wed Sep 24 12:53:18 PDT 2003

I doubt many right-wingers have a clue about Williamson.

It would be interesting to see Hirschman or Shelling get it, since they would be encouraged to pontificate on more general issues, something which both are good at. I don't know if Kornai is still boosting labor-managed firms, but that might be a fun selection too.

To me strictly in academic terms Baumol is the most logical choice. I heard him speak at an URPE panel a long time ago; he got razzed, despite saying he had read all three volumes of Capital three times.

mbs

> > William Baumol Jagdish Bhagwati Arnold Harberger
> > Oliver
> > Hart Albert Hirschman Michael Jensen Janos Kornai
> > Anne
> > Krueger Paul Krugman Richard Posner Thomas
> > Shelling Richard
> > Thaler Oliver Williamson Other
>

> If Krugman gets it, the right wing media is going to
> spontaneously combust.

Or Williamson. His work on institutional econ is flying the face of the neo-lib orthodoxy.

Wojtek