[lbo-talk] Jeffrey Sachs: "Bush's Billions Will Only Prolong

Devine, James jdevine at lmu.edu
Thu Sep 25 08:38:09 PDT 2003

> Can somebody please explain to me why such demonstrably practically
> disastrous economists as Sachs and Aslund still get invited
> to symposia?
> This is like inviting Lysenko to a conference on biogenetics.
> Economics must
> be a very forgiving science indeed.

economics isn't a science. I don't know about Aslund, but Sachs is welcome because his assumptions and theory are generally within the scope of allowable discussion in the "profession." (However, his recent writings on Iraq may differ too much from the party line.) He uses politically-correct assumptions and has high status, given his academic pedigree. On the latter, the economics profession is as snobby as the old British aristocracy, referring to (and worshiping) the "top schools," the "top journals," the "big names," etc., even when those include charlatans such as Milton Friedman and blatant ideology factories such as the University of Chicago.

The profession isn't forgiving to those who differ with the party line, don't use politically-correct assumptions, don't have status, etc.

Jim D.