[lbo-talk] FW: Edward Said passed away yesterday

Dwayne Monroe idoru345 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 25 12:38:56 PDT 2003

Only fairly recently, as the Iraq war loomed and then became reality, did I come across Dr. Said's writings.

I have Alex Cockburn to thank for the introduction. Impressed by the high caliber and obvious passion I sought out more including "Orientalism".

When you encounter the work of a scholar like Said, you realize, unhappily, how few truly aware and principled academics there are. Chomsky has written that the proper function of the intellectual in society should be to use her/his privilege of time, education and perspective to provide people with critical information.

Experience shows how seldom this happens.

What an awful loss for so many.

As for Brad...

Well, the blog honed urge to say something quick and sharp - regardless of accuracy or taste - is apparently strong with that one.

DRM