[lbo-talk] FW: Edward Said passed away yesterday

Brad DeLong jbdelong at uclink.berkeley.edu
Thu Sep 25 13:01:55 PDT 2003

> > But at least before he died he got to see his dearest wish: the
>> destruction of the Oslo Peace Process.
>>
>> Brad DeLong
>>

>Said's body barely cold, and DeLong is pissing on the corpse. Try not to get
>your dick caught in your zipper, Brad.

He was anti-Oslo from before the day it was signed, preferring his own revenge fantasies comfortably written in his study in New York to what was--as long as Yitzhak Rabin was alive--a reasonable chance for getting the Palestinians at least a third of a loaf.

Now we are headed down a road which is likely to see not a compressed and demilitarized Palestinian state on 80% of the pre-1967 West Bank and Gaza Strip, but instead the expulsion of all Palestinians from the West Bank ("my grandfather was expelled from Damascus; turnabout is fair play; go live in his house there") and, thirty years later, the nuclear destruction of Tel Aviv.

Blame Ariel Sharon all you want. Blame American rabbis who raise funds for West-Bank settlements. Blame the incompetence of Labour politicians. Blame Yitzhak Rabin's assassin. Blame the right-wing Israeli nutboys who say that The One Who Is gave us Judea and Samaria--and somehow forgot that later on The One Who Is used Vespasian and Hadrian to take away Judea and Samaria.

Blame Yasser Arafat and his tools in the Al-Aqsa Brigades. Blame Hamas and Hezbollah. Blame the Saudi princes. Blame the Bush Administration which has managed to become the lackeys of both the Saudi princes and the Likud extremists.

But also blame Edward Said, who was smart enough to know that it is rare that there is such a thing as a good war or a bad peace, and yet all his life chose to yell with those wanting war.

Brad DeLong