[lbo-talk] Oslo and its aftermath

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Thu Sep 25 14:43:03 PDT 2003

I have a really terrific idea: let's stop discussing Said and DeLong's relative personal merits and demerits altogether. (And, although Brad's swipe at the recently deceased was in poor taste, the shots at Brad have been even more disgusting--good work, boys.)

James Devine wrote:

> (The fact that Oslo wasn't going to work is suggested by the fact that
Sharon was able destroy it with a > single act, indeed with a non-violent act. Oslo was like a pyramid sitting on its apex, in econ-talk an
> unstable equilibrium.)

So the 2000 peace talks were bound to fail? Arafat *had* to walk away from Camp David without even making so much as a counter offer? (And let me preempt any smears by saying I don't think peace talks should be required to end the occupation: Israel should just get the fuck out. But that doesn't absolve the Palestinian leadership from any and all responsibility for the current state of affairs.)

-- Luke